Monday, October 8, 2012

What?? You mean there isn't an instant fix? You mean after all these years of working with her disorders there are no cures?  My balloon just POPPED!  Sigh...where do we go from here.....tears.....

Yes, I was devasted, how much longer could I endure this child's behaviors and not lose my mind.  Or worse continue losing what few friends and family members we have left.  So I set and listened as the therapist explained what was going to happen in order to get her heading in the right direction.  And the 3 times per week sessions began and at first they went well.  My daughter was getting a ton of attention, she could tell all kinds of stories, blame me, make me look like a parental monster.  At the end of every session the therapist we would discuss what my daughter would need to do as in remember to take a shower without arguing or back talking when asked.  One month went by and she would have a couple of good days and then return to her old ways.  The therapist got more determined, she got tougher, she got her.  Another month went by and things were getting worse.  And then the therapist got mad.  Yep, she got mad.  She called my daughter out and "drilled" her and until she was at the breaking point and then it happened.  "You are just like my mother!! Always making me do things I don't want to! Always saying it is my fault! You are supposed to be mad at her not me!! It's her fault not mine!! Why are you blaming me!! I thought you liked me! I will just run away and no body will get to tell me what to do!!", she screamed.  Her therapists replied, " I am NOT your mother, I am your therapist.  I will tell you it is your fault for making poor choices because you have shown me you know how to make good choices when it benefits your plan and if you choose to runaway I will call the police to go out to find you and you will return you to the hospital."  "But I didn't choose her to be my mother and it's not fair!", she screamed again.  "I understand", the therapist told her, "but you couldn't have asked for a better mom for a girl like you.  She loves you and I know you love her too."  We left that day with a better idea of our relation boundaries and knew we would have to wait it out to see if my daughter would accept it or refuse to come aboard.  It seemed to work. YAY!! After another month her visits went to twice a week and then weekly.  Now things still happened, poor choices were made but now there was no screaming, apologies were made.  Then finally we made it to the one month visits!  After 6 months of intense therapy following a hospital stay I felt like we were making progress.  My daughter still had the same poor behaviors and boundaries but accepted when I called her out on them.  All was glorious right? Wrong.  She began to slide.  Down the slippery slope she went and there was no stopping her.  What did it? Cleaning her room and her poor hygiene.  I refuse to let her out of her room, except meals, until her room was cleaned.  I had errands to run so I told her I wanted her room cleaned and her shower taken by the time I got home.  Instead she chose to run away.  Again. And she took her therapist and me at our words to call the police if she ran away by walking the 10 miles to the police station and report herself as a runaway!!  Yes. She. Did.

To be continued...again.....

No comments:

Post a Comment